7.08.2009

twin


{Twin} 12" x 12" x 1.75"

I wouldn't say this is my favorite painting I have done in the last couple months, but it is more personal than most, and it holds a special place in my heart. This painting is about having someone in your life (whether it be an actual twin or family member, lover, or friend) with whom you feel an intense kinship with. Not just that you love them, but that feeling that somewhere deep down you share a core of similarity. That you recognize yourself beneath this other person's skin.
When I was working on this piece I went searching in my 8 inch thick vintage dictionary from the 30's to find a word to compliment and collage into what I was trying to paint. I settled on twin as the closest I could come. I flipped to that page and as I ripped it out a pressed four leaf clover fell out from that exact page. Who put that there? And I just teared up at the mystery of it all.

6 comments:

Liz said...

oooooh, how interesting. And yes, mysterious and wonderful. I really like the painting,too, especially the concept. Knowing your intent behind the piece makes the portrayal of it even more beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Linda said...

I love the sharing of your process when you present a work of art. It's all about the stories in our lives ~ for me, that's what it's all about! I love that you are in my story (big time!) and I love this painting ~ especially for some reason that extra red feather off to the left...
Interestingly, I found a pile of feathers (someone had a dinner right outside our door at the camp) and was intrigued by some of the feathers that had this exact thing going on! A tiny, tiny, tiny little red "feather" that came off the tip of the otherwise fairly nondescript gray "main" feather.
Love you!

Linda said...

ps: To clarify: I didn't meant that YOUR wing feathers are non-descript! ... Just that the feathers I found were non-descript.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What a lovely little gift from the universe.

Supria Karmakar said...

I love this piece too...and reading about your thoughts and process in creating the piece brings deeper meaning and appreciation for the piece for me...I love the 'Twin' title....Supria

Kerin said...

This is very heartwarming. It does cry out for two to share this cozy spot and enjoy the simple but meaningful act of passing the time together. I loved what you wrote about the thought behind making this also.